Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lotus Light Sangha Blog - Life As It Is

Many of us are asking "How do I live in this world and not become overcome by the chaos?".

In truth, if we look back over the history of humanity we will see many periods of time that could be considered more violent than what we are experiencing today. Regardless of the world circumstances, throughout the ages, good and bad arise together and great teachers and leaders have emerged in a steady stream to lift the world consciousness and to help us see the mystery and miracle of life even in the most chaotic and troubled times. 

This week we shared readings that challenge our ideas of how to see our suffering. 

Our first reading of the evening is from the book, Love Poems from GOD by Daniel Ladinsky.  This is a collection of "Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West". 

"Rabia of Bastra (c. 717-801) is without doubt the most popular and influential of female Islamic saints and a central figure in the Sufi tradition. She was born nearly five hundred years before Rumi and although it is rarely said, she, perhaps more than any other poet influenced his writing.....When Rabia was quite young, she became separated from her parents - perhaps they died - and while wandering homeless, she was literally stolen and sold into slavery. Because of her remarkable beauty, a famous brothel bought her for a large sum, and it is believed she lived and was forced to work as one might in a brothel for  many years. She wrote "What a place for trials and transformation did my Lover put me, but never once did He look upon me as if I were impure. Dear sisters, all we do in this world, whatever happens is bringing us closer to God."  .....When she was about 50 she was given her freedom......The remaining years of her life were devoted to meditation and prayer and she would often see visitors seeking guidance about their lives.....  

As this great woman once wrote: 

"Show me where it hurts, God said, and every cell in my body burst into tears before His tender eyes. He has repaid me though for all my suffering in a way I never wanted: The sun is now in homage to my face, because it knows I have seen God. But that was not His payment. The soul cannot describe His gift. I just spoke about the sun because I like beautiful words, and because it is true: Creation is in homage to us." 

A few of her poems: 

DIE BEFORE YOU DIE

Ironic, but one of the most intimate acts 
of our body is 
death.

So beautiful appeared my death - knowing who then I would kiss,
I died a thousand times before I died.
"Die before you die", said the Prophet 
Muhammad. 

Have wings that feared ever 
touched the Sun?

I was born when all I once 
feared - I could 
love. 


THE WAY IT GOES
Why think that God has not touched everything 
that comes to your desk?

True, He may have kept the best 
for Himself. 

That is just the
way it
goes. 


Our second reading of the evening is too long to post on the blog. However, if you have an opportunity to read The Power of Myth which is a conversation between Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers, it is rich with wisdom! 

May you find an "experience of being alive" ....May you find your Joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment